- 2018 96 points, 2021 Halliday Wine Companion. Released soon
Special mention must also be made of our Red Hill ‘The Eleven’ Chardonnay 2018 which continues a remarkable run of success for this wine:
‘The Eleven’ Chardonnay
- 2018 95 points, James Halliday, 2021 Halliday Wine Companion. Released soon
- 2017 96 points, Gary Walsh, The Wine Front and 95 points, James Halliday, 2020 Halliday Wine Companion, Huon Hooke, The Real Review and Steve Leszczynski, QWine and Chardonnay Provenance Trophy at the 2018 Mornington Peninsula Wine Show
- 2016 97 points (Campbell Mattinson). Also, Chardonnay Trophy at the 2018 Mornington Peninsula Wine Show
Harvested from eleven rows of P58 Chardonnay planted in 1986 on our north-facing slope at our home vineyard site in Red Hill, ‘The Eleven’ Chardonnay is by any measure a stand-out wine. The northerly aspect offers protection from the cool southerlies and plenty of sunshine during ripening. This is a special site where old, dry-grown chardonnay vines deliver a wonderful depth of flavour. »purchase here
- 95 Points James Halliday "A bright, light crimson hue is a propitious start, but it's the finish of the palate that is the best starting point, for it's here the full complexity of the wine is revealed. Fresh and blanched cherries and strawberries carry the conversation on for a considerable time. All happy."
- 95 Points Steve Lesczyzinski, Qwine
- Gold Medal, 2019 Decanter World Wine Awards
It is not all Chardonnay and Pinot Noir on the Peninsula, and we showed our expertise with Shiraz in the 2021 Halliday Wine Companion with both our Pennon Hill and Montalto Estate Shiraz being well received
- Pennon Hill Shiraz 2018 95 Points, 2021 Halliday Wine Companion "Light but bright crimson-purple; it is elegant and lively, in best cool-climate style, savoury/spicy notes are in balance with black cherry fruit. Made in an early-drinking style, drink it soon while it has the brightness of fruit." »purchase here
- Montalto Estate 2018 96 Points, 2021 Halliday Wine Companion "From a vineyard in the warm Tuerong district. Good colour; an aromatic bouquet points to the inclusion of some whole bunch fruit, reinforced by the complex palate with spiced black cherry, wild blackberry, liquorice and bitter chocolate all in a wreath of finely tuned tannins." »purchase here
About Simon Black, Winemaker:
Having just completed his 11th vintage as Montalto winemaker, Simon Black has a tremendous grounding and recognition for the vineyards that provide the life-blood to the Montalto winery, together with a meticulous understanding of how to vinify and capture the potential of each site.
Following his graduation in Oenology from Charles Sturt University in 1996, Black travelled extensively, nationally and internationally, honing his craft. It was inevitable that his love of Chardonnay and Pinot Noir would eventually see him settle on Victoria’s Mornington Peninsula.
The ongoing search for perfection is what drives Black. During his time with Montalto, Black has amassed 190 Gold medals together with 59 Trophies in regional, national and international wine shows, together with significant critical acclaim. He is a Len Evans Tutorial graduate and was also a Gourmet Traveller Winemaker of the Year finalist in 2015.
“I may get 40 vintages to apply my craft. If the wine Gods are friendly and the planets align, one in ten of these might produce grapes of exceptional quality, leaving only 4 opportunities in my career to make truly great wine. The quest feeds the fascination.”