June 24, 2019
After an incredible year on the 2018 Australian Wine Show circuit, with our 2017 Single Vineyard wines capturing 10 trophies and 15 gold medals, this release has been highly anticipated.
On a crisp autumnal day, the Cellar Door team tasted through each wine, and we discussed with Simon how the 2017s will age.
Below are our cellaring notes.
- History tells us that ‘The Eleven’ Chardonnay has a strong pedigree for cellaring. This vintage is no exception and with correct cellaring will age beautifully for 10+ years. Harvested from eleven rows of P58 Chardonnay planted in 1986 on our north-facing slope at our home vineyard site in Red Hill South. 110 metres above sea level.
- This is the second release of our ‘Tuerong Block’ Chardonnay and the quality produced from this site is exceptional. Cellared correctly, made from our newly acquired Tuerong vineyard planted in 1993. 30m above sea level.
Pinot Noir – up the hill
- Hailing from the cooler sub-region, the more delicate of the collection Montalto Single Vineyard ‘Main Ridge’, has lovely fruit concentration together with an abundance of fine tannins and bright acidity making this wine a good prospect for mid-term cellaring; 5-8 years. 156m above sea level.
- From our home vineyard in Montalto Single Vineyard ‘Red Hill Block’, this site sits at 110 metres above sea level and features red volcanic soils. The northerly aspect offers protection from the cool southerlies and plenty of sunshine during ripening. Lovely depth and structured fine tannins will reward correct cellaring for up to 8 years.
Pinot Noir – down the hill
- The warmth of our Merricks vineyard ensures consistently ripe grapes year in, year out with beautifully structured, sweet fruit. Montalto Single Vineyard ‘Merricks Block’ typically ages longer than the cooler sites of Main Ridge and Red Hill and will reward cellaring for 10+ years. 55m above sea level.
- The structure and fruit concentration derived from the Tuerong Block means it always has great ageing potential. The Montalto Single Vineyard ‘Tuerong Block’ 2017 is no exception and with careful and correct cellaring, it’s drinking life will carry on for 10+ years. 30m above sea level.